If you have a headache you are quickly inclined to take a paracetamol or ibuprofen. Such a painkiller often seems to work, but it is not always the best solution. First, taking these drugs sometimes has serious side effects. That’s why we told you earlier what natural painkillers there are that you can take instead of ibuprofen or paracetamol. In addition, there are also other methods that you can use to relieve headaches for yourself. A method that works well in our opinion is massaging away your headache. We give you 6 ways you can use to massage away your headache.
Before you start the exercises, it is important that you relax your muscles, sit quietly and concentrate on your breathing
- Rub your hands together to warm them up. Then place the palms of your hands over your eyes for 15 seconds. This will help your eyes relax for a while.
- Place the fingertips of both hands on your forehead together. Apply gentle pressure and slowly pull your fingers across your forehead to the side toward your temples.
- Place your fingertips firmly on your head and make small circles, think of the head massage you always get at the hairdresser. Do this all over your head, don’t forget your temples. By doing this you ensure that the tension is released and you stimulate blood circulation.
- Place your index fingers next to your nose on both sides. Apply gentle pressure to this point and pull your fingers further apart. This opens your nostrils and allows you to breathe better.
- Apply pressure to your eye orb muscles. Do this by placing your index finger under your eyebrow and above your eye. Gently press this area or gently squeeze your skin in this area.
- For this massage you have to lie down on the floor for a while. Bend your knees and place your feet on the floor. Place a tennis ball under your neck and hold it with your hands. Use your body weight to apply pressure and slowly move up and down.
In addition to massaging away your headache, there is another technique that you can use against headaches: acupressure. Acupressure is an ancient Chinese medicine. With acupressure you press on certain points in your body, these pressure points in your body help to relax your muscles and stimulate your blood circulation. Headaches can also be treated with acupressure.
Pressure point Li-4 (Hegu)
Pressure point Li-4 (Hegu) is located on the skin between your thumb and index finger. Applying pressure to this point can relieve headaches.
- Find the point between your thumb and index finger.
- Press this point with your thumb and move your thumb in circles. Do it firmly, but not too hard so that it hurts.
- Repeat on your other hand. You can do it several times a day, as often as necessary to reduce headache symptoms.
Also read: 6 tips for dealing with migraines